Cameron Pittman, Teacher
School / Organization, City and State / Province
Stratford STEM Magnet High School, Nashville, TN
11-12 (or advanced conceptual physics students).
Generation Science Standards:
- HS.PS-FM Forces and Motion
- performance standards
- Plan and carry out investigations to show that the algebraic formulation of Newton’s second law of motion accurately predicts the relationship between the net force on macroscopic objects, their mass, and acceleration and the resulting change in motion.
- Science and Engineering Practices: Planning and carrying out investigations, Analyzing and interpreting data, Using mathematics and computational thinking, Constructing explanations and designing solutions, Developing and using models.
- Interpretation of Data – Translate information into a table, graph, or diagram (20-23), compare or combine data from a complex data presentation (24-27).
- Scientific Investigation – Predict how modifying the design or methods of an experiment will affect results (33-36), Identify an alternate method for testing a hypothesis (28-32).
- Evaluation of Models, etc – Determine whether given information supports or contradicts a complex hypothesis or conclusion, and why (33-36).
- Students will design a test that allows players to test the properties of gravity in Portal 2
- Students will demonstrate proper experiment design
Students will be building their own experiment to calculate acceleration due to gravity in the game world. Students will decide how to build an apparatus that allows them to calculate the time it takes for an object to fall a certain distance within the game.
Gravity, Acceleration, Velocity, Displacement.
- Knowledge of Gravity
- Decent Algebra Skills.
Teacher Materials Needed
Student Materials Needed
- Microsoft Excel (optional, but recommended)
Download Portal Gravity